Connexion Any questions

Château de Châteauneuf

The castle's history began in 1175 with a keep built on a promontory overlooking the valley through which the Burgundy canal now flows. A sumptuous chapel was built in the 13th century. In the 14th and 15th centuries, it was fortified with a powerful wall and five defensive towers. Around 1460, Philippe Pot, Seigneur de la Roche (Château de la Rochepot), became the owner of the castle. He was a private adviser to the Duke of Burgundy, Philip the Good, and one of the knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece. He rebuilt the fortress and refurbished the chapel. The mantelpiece of the Great Hall's monumental fireplace still bears Philip Pot's motto "Tant L Vault", dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The chapel is entirely decorated with 15th century murals depicting Christ and the apostles. Also worth seeing is the polychrome replica of Philippe Pot's tomb, the original of which is kept in the Louvre Museum. From the 16th century onwards, the château was owned by several prominent families, including the Montmorency and Vienne families. In 1936, Count Georges de Vogüé donated the château to the State. The collections were regularly enhanced, notably with a fine suite of 7 17th-century tapestries depicting episodes in the life of Moses. Apart from a few interior alterations, the château has retained its medieval character.

In 2008, the Burgundy-Franche-Comté Region volunteered to continue restoring the château, making it the centrepiece of a heritage and cultural project linked to the region.
An unprecedented restoration campaign began in 2022. It will improve the visitor experience, with the construction of a reception area and shop, and the opening of new museum areas enhanced by landscaping.
As well as being a tourist attraction, the château is also part of the region's identity and collective memory.

Visits, activities, summer events, exhibitions, archaeological research... it's a living monument that can't be ignored!

Hours :

The château is open from 1 September to 30 June from 9.30am to 12.45pm and from 2pm to 6pm. From 1 July to 31 August from 9.30am to 12.45pm and from 2pm to 6.30pm. Last admission 45 minutes before closing time. Closed every Monday and on 01/01- 01/05- 01/11- 11/11- 25/12.


Pricing information

Thematic of the place


Public price
Base rate - full rate adult : €5.00
Child rate : €3.00
Price with the pass
Base rate - full rate adult : Free
Child rate : Free



Grande rue

03 80 49 21 89